Sunday, June 10, 2018

Day 349 - Who's Fool Are You?

Click here to link directly to the audio file.

**********

A friend of mine use to have a college professor that would always ask this question. He would say, "Who's fool are you?"

This wise man would often talk about the fact that we are always willing to be someone's fool. How many times have you done or said something to impress someone who you thought held a higher position in life? I have been in plenty of situations where foolish didn't even come close to how I acted because of who I was around. When I think back on those times, I realize how much I allowed victim thinking to drive my foolish actions because I really didn't have an appreciation for who I was.

Not only are we willing to act foolish for others, things can make us look the fool as well. Money, power, position, possessions and a whole host of other things in this world can drive us to do and say things that we might later be sorry of. It is when we let the things of this world work to bolster who we want the world to see us as being that foolishness springs out of victim thinking.

My friend's college professor was alluding to today's Bible reading when he asked, "Who's fool are you?" Take a look at our reading with me now.

We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored! 1 Corinthians 4:10 (NIV)

Do you see the sarcasm in Paul's writing today? He is contrasting what it looks like when we are settling for being a fool of the world. It is when we fight to feel wise and strong and honored that we embark on a fools errand. When we tie our identities to the need to be seen as wise, strong and honored, we have made it clear that we have chosen to be a fool for the world. 

People will always think that your choice to follow Jesus is a foolish thing. If you think about it, they are absolutely right! We are following an invisible God, born of a virgin who raised Himself from the dead. That's about the most foolish thing I have ever heard! Yet, that sequence of foolish sounding events gives me a peace like nothing I have chosen to be foolish over that the world has ever been able to match. 

I have tried to impress people in all stations of life. They have all failed me in one way or another. I have tried for all I'm worth to make money and power and impact be what defines me. There has never been enough to fill the bottomless pit of need when it comes to who I am. People and things just can't do for me what a foolish sounding savior has done. Jesus has made it so that my identity has a standing that can't be taken away by success or by failure. 

My victor status is empowered by the fact that I am God's Child. I don't have to do a single thing to impress Him to have the power of that status. I don't have to jump through hoops to make that status be mine. He gives it to me and all He asks in return is for me to get to know Him. If that sounds foolish to you, I am proud to say, "I am a fool!"

If chasing people and things makes your identity be all it needs to be in your life, I can honestly say I'm happy for you. I wish that that strategy worked for me as well. For some reason it just doesn't work any more. My advise to you is work it for all you are worth. But, be honest with yourself. When the doubts come, don't sweep them under the carpet. There might come a day when people and things aren't enough anymore. When that day comes, think about who you are in God's eyes. 

I plan on going after as much of a good life as I have the energy to pursue today. What I'm not going to do is step over the line into foolish antics to try and make that good life happen. I'm trusting God that what He says about me is enough for who I am. I'm going to let my victor status do the talking in my life, even if the rest of the world calls me a "Fool for Christ!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 - The Year of the Victor

Click here to link directly to the audio file. ********** 365 days done. What an amazing journey this year has been producing this podca...