Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Day 365 - The Year of the Victor

Click here to link directly to the audio file.

**********

365 days done. What an amazing journey this year has been producing this podcast. I sure have had a lot of fun doing this project. I have learned a great deal in producing these podcasts this past year. Much of what I have learned has come out of the circumstances that made this podcast possible in the first place.

Right after I wrote my book called Victor - Breaking Free From A Victim-Based Society, I started writing what I thought would be a daily devotional. I had intentions of writing this devotional using quotes from my book along with a daily Bible reading to further explain the process of moving from victim thinking to victor living. It was my intention to publish this work and see how God might use it to help others on this journey to victor living.

After writing almost three months of this daily devotional, life got in the way. The project was put on the back burner. Over a year later, I hadn't even touched the project at all. My thinking was that maybe God didn't want me to publish this work. Maybe He had different plans. Some pretty good devotions were left to collect dust on some server in the cloud.

Over a year later, I injured my hand. I was working on a project for a friend of mine. On a day like so many before I was using a grinder to cut some metal. As I was busy doing what I do, the grinder bound up in the piece I was cutting and jumped back seriously slicing the top of my hand in three different places. I knew immediately I needed to go to the ER to get the wounds cleaned up and stitched. Little did I known it was going to be a bit more complicated than that.

As the ER doctor was cleaning up the wounds and prepping it for stitches, she saw in one of the cuts that the tendon to my pointer finger was sliced in several places. Though it wasn't severed, the extent of the damage to the tendon made her realize that some more attention was going to have to be given to this injury. She sewed me up and refereed me to a hand surgeon. A week later I was in surgery so that they could repair the multiple chunks I had taken out of my tendon.

Being the injury was to my right hand and that I am right handed, I became quite incapacitated. Eating, personal care, driving and even the computer work I do became things I literally had to relearn. I wasn't able to use my right hand for almost two months and after that found that it took several more months of physical therapy to get somewhat normal function to return to my hand.

During this down time, I needed something to do. One of my greatest cheer leaders in life is my niece Gini Joy. Gini is a busy mom of four amazing kids, one of whom is a precious special needs child. She had asked me if I would record my book for her so that she could listen to it when she found time to go out for a run. What else did I have to do? I could read and record my book one handed. So, I took a few weeks to record the entire book for her. I really enjoyed the process of creating an audible book for Gini Joy.

When Gini Joy finished listening to my book she asked me, "What's next?" She wanted more! There's not much more in this world that makes us feel like a victor than does being wanted! It was at that point that the few months of the daily devotional I had started writing so long before came to mind. What if I turned those writings into a daily podcast? I had never done anything like that before. Just like recording my book, I could put together a daily podcast one-handed. Why not? I figured out how to make a podcast happen and off we went.

What I didn't expect was to be impacted as deeply as I have been by taking on this project. I really don't know if Gini Joy has heard all 365 days. I don't even know if there is any other people who might have listened to this thing. I do know that I have listened to each and every one of these podcasts on a daily basis. I can't tell you how many times what I heard being played on my podcast app was speaking directly to my soul. Time and time again, I would think, "Where did that come from?" I have needed to hear the words I recorded to help me live like the victor God has made me to be.

I estimate that I have written over one half a million words in producing this podcast. That's equivalent to writing five-250 page books! Not once did I feel like this project was a burden. Not once did I dread sitting down at my computer to write, record, edit and publish this daily podcast. I thank God for Gini Joy's boldness in asking me to take on such an ambitious project. I can say with absolute certainty, this project has changed my life.

Isn't that just like God? He used a time challenged mom to help an injured, prospect lacking, get-it-done kind of person do something that has had impact in this world. That impact might not rise to the level of victory this world looks to when it tries to define what a victor is suppose to look like. Remember, victory can't be the sole characteristic of a victor or victim thinking will ultimately be the result. All I know is that God wanted this victor to realize more completely the power of his victor status. This podcast has done exactly that for me.

I can guarantee that there are things you are doing right now that are having the kind of impact I'm talking about when it comes to this podcast. That impact might not be universal. It might not make it so that you are sought after as an expert at what you are doing right now. If you expect that kind of result to feel like the victor God made you to be, you will be disappointed in ways that make victim thinking a real possibility in your life.

All we can do is do what we are able to do and let the chips fall where they may when it comes to victory. As for being a victor, that's a cinch. All we have to do is take another breath. We are a victor because God says so. Our identity as God's Child makes us a victor whether we achieve the victory we think we need in life or not. This year of listening to this podcast has helped make that message something I truly believe. I'm hoping any success I face in the future or any failures that come my way are filtered through the fact that I am a victor whether I experience success or am in failure. Win or lose God loves me. That alone is all the victory I need to make victor living a power in all I do in this world.

God is the Alpha and the Omega. He is the beginning and the end. In each podcast I usually incorporate a Bible verse that helps to drive home the point I want to make about victor living. I typically take time to explain how the scripture we read connects to the subject of the podcast for that day. Since God started this project, I think His Word should end it. As I read today's Bible verses, I pray that He show you what it means for you as you live out your victor status. May God's word richly bless you and make you stand out as His Child in all that comes your way today.

Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. None of this going off and doing your own thing. And cultivate thankfulness. Let the Word of Christ—the Message—have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives—words, actions, whatever—be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way. Colossians 3:15-17 (MSG).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 - The Year of the Victor

Click here to link directly to the audio file. ********** 365 days done. What an amazing journey this year has been producing this podca...