Saturday, July 22, 2017

Day 24 - The Power of Presence

Thoughts that have come from various quotes taken from the book, "Victor - Breaking Free From a Victim Based Society" by John H. Hovis. Click here to link directly to the audio file.

**********

"His presence may not always fill our stomachs or our bank accounts, but His presence is something that is real and can be counted on in the life of a Child of God’s."

As quoted from the book "Victor - Breaking Free From a Victim-Based Society" by John H. Hovis Page 90.

So many of my prayers are focused on the things I need and the things I want.  Believe me when I say that God wants me to pray for my needs and wants.  But is this the full extent of what my prayer life should be focused upon?

In today's Bible reading we're able to listen into a conversation Moses and God had with each other.  I believe that this conversation was actually a prayer.  What amazes me, knowing the difficult situation Moses was in at the time this prayer took place, is what Moses was asking for from God.  Take a look at these three verses from the book of Exodus.

Then Moses said to him, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?” And the LORD said to Moses, “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name.” Exodus 33:15-17 (NIV)

Moses doesn't ask God for success, leadership ability, protection, provision, safety, he doesn't even ask that god would intervene with the unruly and hard to lead nation Moses found that he was in control of.  No, Moses asks for something that not many of us think to ask for.  He asks for God's presence to be with him.  In fact Moses goes beyond asking and arguably demands that God's presence be with him.

What's the big deal about the presence of God?  Look at what Moses said in the reading above.  He says, "What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?" In other words every one receives provision, protection, leadership ability, safety, and success at times in their life no matter if they believe in a God or not.  If we are to be different, and live the life of the victor God has made us to be, his presence is what will be the difference in our lives.
Moses realized that what set him and the people he led part is God's presence.  The same goes for you and for me.

I don't believe for a minute that Moses wasn't concerned about the exact same needs and wants that you and I have in our life today.  I also don't believe that Moses did not bring those same needs and wants you and I have before God in his prayer time.  I'm sure the Moses begged God for his needs and wants just as much as you and I do.

But Moses realized that no amount of success in his prayer life when it came to his needs or wants will make a difference in this world when compared to the presence God.  I believe that's why he took such a direct stand with God when it came to his presence.  I think that's the stands we too are to take when it comes to seeking God's presence in our life.

Why not try something different today?  As you are prompted to pray to God for your needs and wants toss in one more demand!  Earnestly seek God's presence in all you do.  I believe that his presence will make a big difference in how you view the needs and wants that might challenge your life today.  Nothing empowers the victor more than the knowledge that the presence of god as before you in all that you do.  Made today be a day where your needs and wants are overshadowed, met completely, and/or put in perspective that doesn't challenge your identity as his presence is clearly seen in your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 - The Year of the Victor

Click here to link directly to the audio file. ********** 365 days done. What an amazing journey this year has been producing this podca...